7/1/14

Dwell | Lounger Restoration

One of the things I loved about walking around in Brooklyn, was the free, rather, "garbage" people put out . I lived in a tiny railroad apartment at the time but I wish I would have just brought home everything I found to restore. I love that there is a story to the particular piece and it can carry through with a new owner with a little cleaning up! Why on earth is the Brooklyn Flea so popular?! Because of that very same thought of landing your own piece or 'treasure' of your very own.
With that being said, when we first moved in to the suburbs, I explored our neighborhood with Blake and stroller walked everywhere. I took notice an abandoned home, with a ton of furniture and odds & ends lying out front. When I spotted the lounger, I knew it was a treasure in the make. It was scratched up severely on the arms and looked as if a dog was gnawing on it in spots. The cushions were completely flattened and screamed the 60's, with it's plaid- itchy fabric.
I asked the gentlemen who was in the garage, if he was selling anything, mentioning, I took notice to the chair. The gentleman ended up telling me to just take it, as he was going to take most of the furniture to a local antique store, downtown. As unfortunate of an event, in the loss of his mother, it became in my favor of owning the little gem of a lounge chair!
I picked up some Teak Oil and some sandpaper at the local hardware, along with some wood filler. When I thought of the cushions being done, I wanted something to carry on through the years and already knew my love for herringbone would be the winner....
I went to a local upholstery company, asked for any remnants they may have had and with a little searching wayyyy at the bottom of the rolls of fabric, my darling herringbone fabric, just enough for my cushions, was found! He gave it to me for just $20 p/yard and kept the old cushions as a guide for the new ones.
My total cost of restoration of the chair was short of under $300, but I am so happy with the end result and will enjoy it for years to come!





No comments:

Post a Comment